Did you know that 85% of total U.S. greenhouse emissions are energy related? The choices we make today will affect the amount of greenhouse gases we put in the atmosphere in the near future and for years to come. At Ashton Woods, we are dedicated to providing our buyers with features in their homes that help offset and eliminate greenhouse emissions. We are proud of our commitment to the environment and thought we would share some tips on bringing green living into your home.
1. Think Green From The Start
- Certain programs, such as Environments for Living (EFL), which all Ashton Woods Homes are built in accordance to, feature standardized energy efficient options that can save homeowners as much as 45% a year on utility bills – Ashton Woods is the ONLY builder to nationally utilize the EFL Platinum Program.
- In addition, the Powerhouse Green Home Energy Program, also utilized by Ashton Woods, aims to reduce overall energy costs in single-family homes and townhouses.
- Ashton Woods Homeowners can save as much as $3,816 in utility costs on average per year. Not only is that a great way to help the environment, but it’s a great way to put “green” back in your pocket. To find out how much you can save with an Ashton Woods home, try the Energy Performance Savings Calculator.
2. Reduce Overall Energy Consumption
- Install additional features that will contribute to energy savings on a daily basis. For example, try purchasing LED light bulbs or WaterSense shower-heads and faucet aerators.
- Think smart! Turn off lights when you leave the room and unplug electronics when they are not in use. These “Vampire Watts” can account for 10% of your yearly electricity bill.
3. Decorate And Clean With Green Products
- There are now a variety of low toxic, organic paint and cleaning options available when decorating your home. Eliminating potentially harmful additives from your home will result in a healthier and happier environment for your family.
- Recycle! Re-purpose furniture and find eclectic used hardware at antique shops or flea markets. Buying antiques is a simple way of decorating green—salvaged items can add a certain charm to any room.
- Shop Local—Finding a community with convenience to a variety of restaurants and shops is key—now there is no excuse not to shop around at your favorite local spots. (You can also help lower gas emissions by reducing driving time!)
Green living can not only save you thousands of dollars in utility charges, but it will also make your home a healthy environment for all who live there. Ashton Woods’ commitment to green living offers its residents the infrastructure, appliances and tools necessary to lead a sustainable lifestyle. That’s Green Living that helps you and the planet.